[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Fri Jun 1 11:35:08 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:
> On 1 Jun 2012, at 2:29 , Joe Hildebrand wrote:
>
>> I do think that reflowable HTML will be able to solve 80+% of the small

> Is there a way to make things such that the user can influence the text size for HTML on a cell phone or tablet device?

Unless you take active steps to *stop* it, users can and routinely do
zoom and pinch HTML.  The other really useful thing is to double-tap
(on Android; iOS does this too but I don’t know the gesture) and that
causes whatever <div> you’ve tapped on to expand to fill the width of
the screen, with the font at a nicely-readable size.

Of course, the text has to be reflowable for this to work; but once
again, with sane HTML, you get that for free.

-T