[rfc-i] issue: canonical formats

Joe Touch touch at isi.edu
Fri Jun 1 10:13:13 PDT 2012

On 6/1/2012 10:04 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

>>> How does including additional information affect stability and
>>> persistence negatively?
>>
>> If it's hard to remove, it can get in the way of future conversion to
>> various outputs. If it's not hard to remove, it doesn't.
>
> Why would it be hard to remove?

Removing it might make the resulting file not 'compile' (a frequent
problem with xml2rfc edits, in my experience).

 > Why would you *want* to remove it?

It might interfere with an output I want to generate.

>> Everything we *require* in the structure limits the agility of authoring
>> and submission formats.
>
> As far as I can tell, you are the only one concerned by that.

I agree. This list is headed towards forcing a specific authoring
system, esp. one that this community needs to develop - perhaps there
are too many on this list who would prefer to create a new publishing
paradigm as a research project.

I'll note that we didn't create nroff, nor do we force authors to write
in it.

Joe