[rfc-i] Who uses Word, was Proposed new RFC submission requirements

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Jun 1 09:59:13 PDT 2012

Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-05-28 05:47, Joe Touch wrote:
> > Some use it to check code and abnf.
> > If you're serious about automated tools, grammar and spelling count.
>
> There's no problem with people using Word to check grammar and spelling.
> But there *is* a problem if suddenly defects in Word's HTML output start
> to dumb down the submission format.

The existance&maintenance of a Microsoft Word template has not impaired the
use of xml2rfc in the past, and I am not aware of any attempts to
change that.

But what concerns me is an attempt to make specific features of xml2rfc
a new requirement for the submission format, which would significantly
impair any other existing tooling available for I-D editing, most of
them *MUCH* easier to use than xml2rfc.

-Martin