[rfc-i] issue: canonical formats

Joe Hildebrand jhildebr at cisco.com
Fri Jun 1 09:33:10 PDT 2012

On 6/1/12 8:55 AM, "Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> What the heck is a "legal use case"? Do you have any evidence of a law
> anywhere that says "the canonical format for publishing must be displayable"?

>From Heather's requirements list:

"* to verify the final content of a document in cases of legal dispute"

"While the canonical source format MUST be easily converted in to a variety
of other formats, a single canonical display format must exist to satisfy
the requirements of legal and content disputes"

"Need one source and display format to be the authoritative version,
suitable for legal records"

I'm more worried about contracts than IPR.  The use case is that a contract
specifies that software X complies with RFC Y.  How does an expert witness
decide?

--
Joe Hildebrand