[rfc-i] open issues: small and mobile screens

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Fri Jun 1 06:49:01 PDT 2012

On 31 May 2012, at 22:25 , Joe Touch wrote:

> I propose that those who want to adapt available outputs further - to other extrema - are, as always, welcome to do so. That's how we have PDF and HTML right now, and I don't expect that to be prohibited.

I have strong preference for a single format that works reasonably well on all displays. This makes mirroring and linking much easier.

> 	- figures, tables, and structured text should be clearly
> 	readable on a 7" diagonal XVGA display or larger without
> 	panning

I think I remember how big an inch is, but that *VGA terminology is meaningless to me.

> I.e., I don't want to have to draw figures to be legible without the user wearing reading glasses on a cellphone screen.

If I resolve the double negative you seem to want to require figures to be drawn is such a way that the user requires glasses when viewing them on a cellphone screen? That seems odd to me.

I regularly encounter images that are drawn in such a way that they require glasses when viewing them on a regular monitor, and this is one of the reasons why I'm not a big fan of making images more prominent in RFCs. But I'll be happy when an RFC in the new format displays regular text well on a cell phone and all the other stuff requires panning.