[rfc-i] New proposal for "canonical and others"

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Jul 30 18:25:39 PDT 2012

On 2012/07/30 23:37, Dave Crocker wrote:

> On 6/15/2012 6:23 PM, John Levine wrote:
>> There are XML editors with configurations that know about the xml2rfc
>> DTD and can help you create correct XML, such as the freeware xxe. I
>> wouldn't say it's the best editor ever, but it's an existence proof
>> that such things are possible. I think Dave Crocker uses another XML
>> editor that he likes.
>

> I am plodding through the list discussion, in preparation for tomorrow's
> meeting, and just saw this.
>
> Just to respond to the implied question:
>
> I have been using oXygen and XML2RFC for years.

Same here. oXygen has an "Author" mode which allows editing the text
more or less as one would see it in an actual draft. I actually have a
stylesheet that comes quite close to the old-style typewritten form,
except that some of the well-known peculiarities of xml2rfc make some
things difficult (e.g. editing section titles, because these are
attributes). I don't use this mode too much because I'm afraid it will
mess up the line breaking of the text and thus produce spurious diffs
for subversion, but I'm probably too cautious there.

> It's a pain to produce
> the .txt version,

The main pain is the time it takes for tcl to get anything done. I hope
the Python version will be faster.

Regards,   Martin.