[rfc-i] Comments on draft-hildebrand-html-rfc-2012-07-07 and draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others-03

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jul 30 18:20:50 PDT 2012

On 7/30/12 6:08 PM, "Yoav Nir" <ynir at checkpoint.com> wrote:

>For example, looking at the HTML for the sample draft, you can see that
>the section numbers are actually written inside the HTML file, for
>example;
>
>What is to stop anyone from creating two sections numbered 1.3?  If you
>insert a section, you'd have to renumber all the following sections.
>Sure, I can have a Word template or even the xml2rfc program generate
>them, and that's fine, but I think the fact that editing this is hard
>makes it a poorer choice than xml2rfc.

It's not like I typed in the TOC and all of the section numbers by hand.
There's a tool that fixes all of that up.  Source code on github, as
linked to before.  Here's the actual code:

https://github.com/IETF-Formatters/html-rfc/blob/master/nits/toc.js

This is more like what you actually edit:

https://github.com/IETF-Formatters/html-rfc/blob/master/data/template.html

Which is not radically different from xml2rfc, and has the benefit that
your existing intuition about the meaning of HTML tags is useful to you.

Finally, I expect that before publication, the RFC editor would ensure
that the tooling had been run, so that all of the section numbers are
correct.

--
Joe Hildebrand