[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Sun Jul 29 23:27:11 PDT 2012

On 7/29/12 10:38 PM, ""Martin J. Dürst"" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>>I welcome pull requests to:
>>
>> https://github.com/IETF-Formatters/html-rfc/blob/master/data/rfc.css
>
>I'm not sure github-like collaboration is known to lead to good results
>for typographical design (but I haven't heard of any counterexamples,
>either).

To be even clearer, I don't care at all about the CSS, so I'm willing to
cede control to whomever does have the right level of passion - I'm not
looking for a committee to generate consensus.

>I'd personally suggest to try the following:
>
>- Switch to a font with light serifs for hopefully better text
>readability.

Palatino?  Georgia?

>- Make the section numbers the same color as the section headings.
>That's what people are used to. Making them gray makes them stick out,
>not fade in the back (as I guess you intended).

Fine.

>- Use a bit more margin left and right (ideally in %, not fixed)

5% each?

>- Maybe very slightly increase leading for the main text (but this
>depends on the font)

Chose line-height: 120% with Palatino.

>- Definitely use more leading for the references, and remove the bullet
>points (labels such as [RFC2119] are the main visual cue, and the bullet
>hides them.)

Maybe.  Without resorting to tables, I don't really like the way the
[RFC2119] tags work in hanging-indent form, but let's see what you think.

>- In the address, the order Name-Organization-Email-Address looks rather
>inconsistent. Either put the email at the end, or just after the name
>(maybe even on the same line?)

Moved it to the end.

Current form is here:
http://cursive.net/draft-hildebrand-html-rfc-2012-07-29.html

I think I have all of Julian's comments in as well.

--
Joe Hildebrand