[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Tue Jul 24 09:04:13 PDT 2012

On 7/24/12 9:24 AM, "Paul Hoffman" <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

>On Jul 24, 2012, at 7:19 AM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
>
>> The IETF brand has been ravaged by decades of obstinate conservatism in
>> the look of our primary output.
>
>And hyperbole is destroying the Internet.
>
>Do you have any evidence that the above statement is true? Which other
>SDOs have benefitted from this ravaging you talk of? (No points for
>mentioning ones that used Microsoft Word as a publishing format during
>the same time period.)

Agree that my statement was intentionally hyperbolic.  Sorry for that.

I don't want to argue over what other SDOs tooling is, since I don't have
time to track down references.  Also, I don't claim that format is even
the largest issue in folks not bringing work here.  But I do think it is
part of the perception that scares away work that one could argue should
be done at the IETF.

Some examples that I'm pretty sure about:
- OASIS (e.g.: AMQP, CAP, XACML, SAML)
- XSF (discovery, compression, capabilities)
- WHATWG (URIs, etc.)
- Liberty Alliance (ur-SAML)
- 3GPP (various SIP entanglements)

If I knew more about their spaces, I might be able to give examples for:
- CableLabs
- DMTF

--
Joe Hildebrand