[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Jul 24 08:45:47 PDT 2012

On Jul 24, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> That being said: it doesn't really matter. Conforming HTML5 can easily be transformed into XHTML5. But if we do that, we'll need to change some of the rules currently in the draft, for instance with respect to closing elements (for some elements in HTML, such as <link>, it's not even optional).

The possibility of these kinds of changes argues for a stable (at least 10 years) format for the canonical format and multiple, possibly-changing additional formats. This is the basic logic in draft-hoffman-rfcformat-canon-others for using a long-lived profile of XML as the canonical, non-changing format.

--Paul Hoffman