[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jul 23 08:44:13 PDT 2012

On 7/21/12 9:03 PM, ""Martin J. Dürst"" <duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp> wrote:

>"at the time of publication" doesn't make sense at all. If that's
>removed, then as a policy, it makes ample sense. It also makes sense to
>have some place in the infrastructure check it, just to be sure. But I
>don't think there's a need to check it every time an edit is made.

That makes sense.  How about:

"The RFC Editor will make policy as to what codepoints are allowed in
documents published into the RFC stream."

>Btw, the Unicode Consortium (not Forum) doesn't publish anything that

Sorry, sloppy writing on my part.

>uses unassigned codepoints. They use images to talk about potential new
>character.  Experimental implementations may occasionally use unassigned
>codepoints, but that's a separate matter.

If we make it a policy choice of the stream owner, then problem solved.

>>Which reminds me: are we ok with non-ASCII characters being represented
>> by their UTF-8 encoding? For those stuck in the previous millennium we
>> could simply require ASCII encoding, and use character references for
>> everything non-ASCII.
>
>This is not a question of previous millennium or not. I think we should
>not disallow character references, because there are some characters for
>which it's really helpful if they are explicitly visible, think e.g.
>&nbsp; (non-breaking space). But in general, it's much better if the
>characters are visible directly. It's also way, way closer to what you
>get in the final product.

Of course, I misunderstood Julian's point, which upon re-reading was
clear.  The tooling that is used to pretty-print needs to know which
character references to emit syntactically.  I think &nbsp; is probably
nice, since some other processing tools silently switch U+00A0 to U+0020.
&lt;, &gt;, &amp;, &quot;, and &apos; are probably important.  Everything
else, I'd recommend against, but am open to suggestion.

--
Joe Hildebrand