[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Wed Jul 18 11:52:01 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-18 20:34, Martin Rex wrote:
> Could we please stop the pointless parts of this discussion?
>
> Try to get down to requirement that are *INDEPENDENT* from xml2rfc
> does or could do.  xml2rfc contains lots of meta-data, and can be
> extended to carry even more meta-data.
>
> What meta-data is necessary to create a HTML-page that floats
> is an entirely distinct question.  The requirements for a
> submission format must be modeled on the minimum meta-information
> that is necessary to create the desired output formats.

...and other information needed in the IETF publication process. That
includes programmatic extraction of author names, email addresses, and
abstract (submission tool!).

> Similar for the graphics bikeshedding.  Any graphics must be optional.
> So if another document author takes over a document (I-D or RFC), but
> doesn't have support for some graphics format in his authoring tools,
> he should be OK to leave out the graphics from his revisions of the
> document.  But that only works if the original document is complete
> without the graphics in the first place.

Following that argument we should also forbid esoteric source formats
that make it hard to take over the *text* content of a given document.

And yes, we need to be careful with graphics formats.

> I also have strong doubts about graphics and accessibility.
> ASCII arts are not better than real graphics, but the limited
> capabilities it has should be a motivator to explain as much
> as possible with text -- and the latter is "accessible".

Yes. In particular, as demonstrated by Joe H., it's worthwhile to look
into text-based formats that can be used to generate graphics from (such
as sequence diagrams or state machines).

> Graphics, independent of whether it is bitmaps,SVG or ascii arts,
> should not be critical to the document, but illustrative.  At least,
> ASCII arts will reproduce in all environments that can show text
> (except for environments with broken software, that fail badly when
> trying to render ASCII texts, but that is clearly buggy app software,
> and needs to be fixed at the app software level).

I think the same can be said about most bitmapped graphics formats used
on the Web (that is, GIF and PNG).

Best regards, Julian