[rfc-i] Byte Order Marks for UTF-8

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 09:11:06 PDT 2012

As far as XML is concerned:

Entities encoded in UTF-16 must and entities encoded in UTF-8 may
begin with the Byte Order Mark described by Annex H of [ISO/IEC
10646:2000], section 16.8 of [Unicode] (the ZERO WIDTH NO-BREAK SPACE
character, #xFEFF). This is an encoding signature, not part of either
the markup or the character data of the XML document. XML processors
must be able to use this character to differentiate between UTF-8 and
UTF-16 encoded documents.

I am not aware of any software that breaks if the BOM is omitted. I
have seen a lot of editors and code tools (including the
xml.resource.org one) that breaks if one is specified. I suggest then
that the tools accept XML with a BOM but not generate one.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/