[rfc-i] Byte Order Marks for UTF-8

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 08:11:44 PDT 2012

I think the tools need to accept a BOM but not require one.

It took me quite a while to work out why my XML sometimes worked and
sometimes did not. It turned out that my tools added a BOM which was
being stripped out again in some cases and not in others.

Much better if nobody had introduced BOMs into XML in the first place.
The declaration defines the encoding for a start. But they did and we
need to live with the consequences.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/