[rfc-i] Another example of a draft with non-ASCII characters (draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-12.txt)

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Jul 17 05:26:23 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-17 13:58, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>> The text-only version at
>> http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp/2012/pub/draft-ietf-iri-3987bis-12.utf8.txt
>
> This works well in Firefox and LibreOffice, but neither Notepad nor Wordpad
> can deal with it as far as I can see. I was a bit surprised about Wordpad
> but I couldn't find a UTF8 setting.

Notepad works for me (after changing LF to CRLF using unix2dos).

In general, browsers are supposed to get this right if the charset is
properly declared on the HTTP response (which it is).

Once saved to a local file system, it depends on the default of the
software (fixed encoding? sniffing?). For instance, Notepad AFAIR only
detects UTF-8 *reliably* when the content starts with a Byte Order Mark.

Needless to say that these issues go away when you choose a less
constrained media type where the charset information can be inlined.

Best regards, Julian