[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Tue Jul 17 02:08:48 PDT 2012

On 2012/07/17 3:38, Martin Rex wrote:

> Could you simply accept that there are more active current uses
> of the TXT version of RFC and I-Ds besides what _you_yourself_
> are doing, and that there are I-D authoring tools in use that
> are magnitudes easier to operate than xml2rfc,

A magnitude is a factor of 10. "Magnitudes" should be at least two of
these, so a factor of 100. With all due respect, are you claiming that
editing with nroffedit is 100 times or more faster than any XML editing
tools?

> But really, even if I was allowed, having to maintain software
> on 100+ distinct machines sounds like a big waste of time.
> Even trying to keep my own machines at home "up to date"
> is a tedious waste of precious lifetime.

[This is totally off-topic, but for that very reason, I only have one
personal machine, and it's a very light and small but powerful notebook.]

Regards,   Martin.