[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Jul 16 22:43:37 PDT 2012

On 2012/07/14 18:34, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

> Providing bitmap alternatives for SVG and MathML elements is not that much extra work once we figure out a way to automatically display the highest quality version supported.

It's possible that this doesn't work for *inline* SVG, but in general,
the <object> element does this. Here's an example:

<object type="image/svg+xml" data="image.svg" height="200" width="200">
   <object type="image/png" data="image.png">
     An image of something.
   </object>
</object>

SVG gets rendered if the browser can render it; if not, PNG gets
rendered, and if that's also not possible, the text gets rendered.

Regards,    Martin.