[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jul 16 13:10:31 PDT 2012

On 7/16/12 2:00 PM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

>And whenever I run out of screen real estate, I can use a printed copies
>of RFCs in addition (yes, I have and occasionally use printed copies of
>some RFCs, especially when implementing one).

I don't understand your point here.  Are you suggesting that you can't
print HTML?

>Browser windows on a PC are usually *MUCH* larger, because most stuff
>in the internet, designed for browser usage, is quite unusable with
>a browser window that is 507x603 pixels on the outside
>--you see parts of the branding header, partial ads and parts of
>the navigation pane, but little contents.

I also don't understand your point here.  We're not going to be injecting
ads into RFCs.  You can run a browser in your xterm window, or externally.
 If you run a dedicated graphical browser, you can turn off as much of the
chrome as you like.  We need to ensure that we're using screen real-estate
as best we can in the pages we generate, but that's more of a design issue
than a format issue.

--
Joe Hildebrand