[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jul 16 13:00:23 PDT 2012

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Martin Rex wrote:
> > Implementing RFCs from a browser view, or doing a detailed review is pretty
> > frustrating because of the constant need to switch between documents.
> > Having to take the fingers off the keyboard in order to navigate with
> > the mouse is also a huge waste of time.
>
> Browsers can open multiple windows (instead of tabs) and show content
> side-by-side. I don't see a difference here.

Starting from scratch 6 xterms display quite readable 80x44 ASCII texts in
non-overlapping windows on 1600X1200 is trivial.  Doing this with a
browser is a difficult and time-consuming manual task.

And whenever I run out of screen real estate, I can use a printed copies
of RFCs in addition (yes, I have and occasionally use printed copies of
some RFCs, especially when implementing one).

I can do "make", "vi somesource.c", "vrfc 5280", and all sort of other
things in my xterms, they're _fully_ reusable, which is why I'm using
them in the first place.

Browser windows on a PC are usually *MUCH* larger, because most stuff
in the internet, designed for browser usage, is quite unusable with
a browser window that is 507x603 pixels on the outside
--you see parts of the branding header, partial ads and parts of
the navigation pane, but little contents.

-Martin