[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) jhildebr at cisco.com
Mon Jul 16 08:26:06 PDT 2012

On 7/16/12 8:26 AM, "Martin Rex" <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

>My work environment includes hundreds of machines where I am not allowed
>to freely install whatever third-party software I like.  The paperwork
>to get permission to do this is time-consuming and frustrating.
>And if the software doesn't come as pre-packaged binary from a vendor,
>installation becomes a real nightmare (because of the hegerogeneous
>landscape, e.g. HP-UX 11.0, 11.11, 11.23, 11.31 (hpia64 and hpparisc),
>SunOS 5.6, 5.8, 5.9, 5.10, 5.11 (sparc and x86) (all-in-all around 40).

And you don't have a single box on which you can install whatever software
you like, that you can ssh to?  Do you read RFC's on all of those boxes? I
know that I'd never install a web browser on our production servers, but I
don't expect anyone to need to read an RFC on one of them either since
they (for the most part) can't do outbound HTTP (or other) connections and
everything is logged and audited.

Regardless, either you or the RFC editor can post-process the HTML into
text using one of those browsers or the html2xml2rfc.xsl (then existing
xml2rfc tools) that I hope to check in today.

Add that to the end of your cron job that does the rsync on the one box on
which you're allowed to do your job.

--
Joe Hildebrand