[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Mon Jul 16 08:13:45 PDT 2012

Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2012, at 7:26 AM, Martin Rex wrote:
>
> > Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> >> Try lynx.  Get a copy of either of them here:
> >>
> >> http://www.jikos.cz/~mikulas/links/
> >> http://lynx.browser.org/
> >>

> >> I would expect folks who are militant command-liners to have one of these
> >> in their toolbox.
> >
> > My work environment includes hundreds of machines where I am not allowed
> > to freely install whatever third-party software I like.
>
> No format for RFCs, *including the current one*, can satisfy every
> single possible person who reads RFC, particularly those people who
> cannot use tools that 99% of the rest of the people reading RFCs.

The question here was about grep'ping RFCs for some text.

I'm regular using something like

 find /my/mirror/rfc/ -type f -print0 | xargs -0 grep -ie "some text"

for situations where I don't know which particular RFC(s) mention/cover
some particular issue.

And while this works OK with the current TXT archives of RFCs an I-Ds,
it is less likely to work with XML or HTML documents (which is why
I mirror only the TXT documents).

-Martin