[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Tim Bray tbray at textuality.com
Sat Jul 14 10:21:00 PDT 2012

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM, Iljitsch van Beijnum
<iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

> No, you can't use tools like grep because once you've found something, you can't see that what you found properly if it doesn't display fully on the command line.

Well, I do, actually. All the time, on XML and HTML.  Also on nroff
output.  Also source code.  Each has its irritants.  Each is useful.

I’m really getting tired of people saying “You can’t/shouldn’t X” when
X is well-known to work, and is widely used.

Which has happened over and over in this conversation.  Like I said,
clutching at straws.

-T