[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 07:39:17 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Martin Rex <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
> Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

> There exist many similar expressions for this.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle
>
> or Antoine d'Exupery's "Perfection in design is achieved, not when there
> is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away."

OK so we drop nroff, fixed.

When invoked in this fashion, KISS is just a platitude. What is
'simple' depends on where you stand. And many proposals that purport
to be 'simple' just move the complexity somewhere else. In many cases
to a place that it is harder to deal with and require more complicated
approaches.

There is nothing simple about caveman format. It is a pig to produce
and process. Simplest solution to me would be to simply drop caveman
format altogether. I usually don't look at the caveman format of the
docs unless someone sends me a markedup copy.

> The huge advantage about printed copies is that the for the largest part
> of the human population that the technology necessary to make this
> archival format compatible to the humans optical sensory inputs is
> at most a pair of glasses, if at all.

Well that is going away, tough. Use of paper is finally starting to fall.

you have to deal with the world as it is, not as you would like it to be.

> If you choose an approach to encode information in a fashion that
> is (a) extremely complex and (b) so complex that no average human
> being understands and uses it himself, then it is *BOUND* to be
> superseded by something different in the future, and the ability
> to comprehend it may get lost (and require a huge effort and the
> discovery of a rosetta stone in order to process this stuff
> a few hundred years into the future).

There are more pages in HTML than in any other format. Worrying about
an inability to read HTML is piffle.

> Do you know TAOCP
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Computer_Programming
>
> what programming language is used for code examples, and why?

Really, you would quote Don Knuth in defense of crap typography. DON KNUTH?

Try out his other work some time, its a program called TeX.

TAOCP used MIX because he started writing it in 1962 and high level
languages were very immature at the time.