[rfc-i] Graceful degradation is key, was: Re: draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Sat Jul 14 03:05:11 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-14 11:34, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> ...   But in some cases we'd still have to limit ourselves to make sure
we're compatible with devices (and people) that lack certain
capabilities. So the difference between regular and italic text can't be
semantically meaningful, because that difference isn't there on some
character based terminals or in screen readers. ...

As far as I know, screen readers *do* read text differently based on
markup (such as <em>; not styling).

Best regards, Julian