[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Jul 13 13:06:05 PDT 2012

Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:
> >
> >Both of these are commonly used in equations, would be interesting to say
> >the least if they can't be referenced in text. Although I guess real
> >mathematicians let the equations speak for themselves, the way real
> >programmers let the code speak for itself. But allowing greek and italics
> >in the text would make it very hard to read RFCs on traditional text
> >terminals and/or converted to the current "legacy" format.
>
> Note: the tooling I used to prepare the draft reads the alt text as LaTeX,
> then calls a Google service to create a .png image of the desired size.
> Math-types can probably read the LaTex at least as well as any SVG
> representation.

The closer mathematic formulas in an I-D/RFC look like the actual
implementation of the formula in code (e.g. C89), the more comprehensible
the spec will be.

It is vitally important that the document will be complete and fully
comprehensible when rendered in ASCII-only 72col/56lines format,
so any fancy typeset math formulas *MUST* be optional and for (fancy)
illustrational purposes only.  They MUST NOT be normative or
vital to the understanding of the document.

-Martin