[rfc-i] Big Picture and RFC format

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:30:56 PDT 2012

On Jul 12, 2012, at 9:55 AM, SM wrote:

> Hi Heather,
> At 18:11 11-07-2012, Heather Flanagan (RFC Series Editor) wrote:
>> Interesting question.  We've never really analyzed the subpoenas in
>> quite that way.  At least speaking for the ones that have come in
>> recently, none of the subpoenas we've received involved items from the
>> Independent Stream.
>
> The latest subpoenas were addressed to the IETF.  There were differences in the definition of "IETF".  That's why I asked the question.

To clarify the situation regarding subpoenas, the RFC-Editor can authenticate RFCs, while the IETF can authenticate IDs, blue sheets, IETF proceedings, etc.  There usually some back and forth between our legal council and the theirs to clarify this after receiving a subpoena as they usually don't initially understand the differences.

Bob