[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Peter Sylvester peter.sylvester at edelweb.fr
Thu Jul 12 03:11:13 PDT 2012

On 07/12/2012 09:56 AM, Peter Sylvester wrote:

>>> No. html5shim  for old IEs.
>>
>> Requires script execution; I'm not convinced we want to got that way.
> htm5shim is one way to make old ie happy.
> specific output formats are a fallback e.g. convert all unknown <tag> to
> using divs in the beginning.

Small correction: No such processing is needed. The only thing that
will happen is that css applied to unknown elements are ignored.

But since the structure is proper the default styling should give a
reasonable layout. One does not have the author/pbish date on the upper
right corner for example. (no table, please).

The html should be written in such a way that it gives a reasonable
fallback without scripting and css.

one must be a little bit careful with <p>. A </p> is needed for old browsers
before </section> etc. In case the section tag is no known
you may be some funny results beause you do not
have the containment that implicitely finshed the paragraph.

/P