[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Peter Sylvester peter.sylvester at edelweb.fr
Wed Jul 11 23:58:18 PDT 2012

On 07/11/2012 09:14 PM, Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:
> On 7/11/12 11:53 AM, "Peter Sylvester" <peter.sylvester at edelweb.fr> wrote:
>>> Each section of the document SHALL be formatted as a <div> tag
>> It should be formed  a <section> IMO.
> I'm fine with that.  I assume I need to put display: block in the CSS in
> case there's a browser that doesn¹t support it natively?

No. html5shim  for old IEs.

There shouldn't be a need for any <div>.
use <header> and <footer> e.g. everything until
the introduction section goes into a <header>
the "abstract" is the only textual <section> in there.
the toc <ul>s are inside are inside a <nav>
the visible "metadata" may be in an <aside><dl> for example.

Styled <div> are a last method to solve presentation issues
which should not exist for rfcs.

the template for an index.html of html5reset.org goes a bit far for
the purposes of rfcs. A subset of the mechanisms is sufficient.
https://github.com/murtaugh/HTML5-Reset/blob/master/index.html

/P