[rfc-i] draft-hildebrand-html-rfc

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Wed Jul 11 12:41:30 PDT 2012

On 11 Jul 2012, at 21:28 , Joe Hildebrand (jhildebr) wrote:

> To contain a section?

Then we're back to the containment discussion.

We don't need it. It's not compatible with traditional HTML and word processor document structure. Requiring it anyway means more work by authors and a smaller selection of tools to choose from.

> For example, say I'd like to extract all of the text from the introduction.

That doesn't seem like something important enough to make life harder for authors.

> B) I'm willing to change the doc if there is consensus that there is a
> better way

As long as the doc isn't a working group document you are free to put whatever you want in it.

I think you are trying too much to come up with nice HTML and not enough to make life easy for authors. We can always have tools improve the HTML, but once we require people to do something (either manually or by running additional tools they wouldn't use otherwise), we've made life significantly worse for the community.

I think the document would be clearer if it didn't spend one or more paragraphs on each of the first half dozen mandatory lines in the HTML but simply just said "documents start with these 7 lines".

Iljitsch