[rfc-i] Graphics and XML

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Jul 10 09:15:53 PDT 2012

On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:39 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2012-07-10 17:23, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> For RFC output, a stable absolute URI would obviously be better than an unstable one. For Internet-Draft production, local relative URIs are possibly acceptable, but I would hope that the different streams would prohibit them.
>
> For RFCs, assuming the RFC has a stable URI, a local relative URI will be stable as well, no?

Good call. I was thinking about the case where I downloaded the RFC and art, but moved the RFC to somewhere else but didn't move the art. Now that seems like an edge case. It is more likely that I will open the local copy of the RFC in its downloaded location, so the relative links would work fine.

And, for those who might say "but absolute nonlocal URLs are better", think about people who read RFCs offline. Local relative URLs will work better for them. The only people for whom local relative URLs would fail are those who download only the RFC and not the art, or those who download both but move just one of them. I think...

--Paul Hoffman