[rfc-i] xml2rfc vs html and others

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Mon Jul 9 20:47:20 PDT 2012

Hello John,

In general, I agree with you on XML vs. HTML.

On 2012/07/07 5:16, John R Levine wrote:

> Constrained HTML might have minor advantages as a display format but it
> would be a nightmare as a working format. HTML suffers from being both a
> structure language and a display language. Every HTML editor I've seen
> only treats it as a display language, i.e., add arbitrary crud to the
> HTML to try and make the display look OK.

Maybe I have mentioned it before, but you should have a look at Amaya
(http://www.w3.org/Amaya/). It's a HTML editor, and it's definitely
putting structure over display. I'm using it a lot. And of course it's
free software. (I'm using <oXygen/> XML Editor for XML editing because
they have a cheap academic licence).

Regards,    Martin.