Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sat Jul 7 07:41:06 PDT 2012

On Jul 6, 2012, at 11:36 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> On 2012-07-07 00:37, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>> On Jul 6, 2012, at 3:33 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
>>
>>> As a practical matter, I think having a conversion from the XML to
>>> HTML that does not discard information will prove very useful.
>>
>> +1. Fortunately, that is trivial both to do and to test.
>
> It's not *that* trivial; you need to choose a format for embedding the metadata (bikeshed!).

Bikeshedding is trivial. Well more than half of all IETF WGs have expertise in that area.

> That being said, if somebody if willing to experiment with that I'll be happy to hack rfc2629.xslt to include additional information to make this possible.

That's one option. Another is for us to actually design what information we want first, and then design how to encode it into XML. As the second step proceeds, you can tell us which things we are doing would not work at all in XSLT, and we can find different colors for the bikeshed right then.

--Paul Hoffman