[rfc-i] IPv6, was: Re: Does the canonical RFC format need to be "readable" by developers and others?

Phillip Hallam-Baker hallam at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 08:21:33 PDT 2012

Actually there are ways that IPv6 could have been made to work using
the 32 bit addresses as a starting point. For example we could put all
the networks connected to the Internet behind a NAT box to give us an
effective 32+32 = 64 bit address space.

We could have taken the dark space and turned it into 2^30 net
prefixes for an extended routing scheme.

We could have taken a large number of other design approaches had the
problem of actually deploying IPv6 been taken as a serious issue
rather than an afterthought.

The principle objective for IPv6 was to prevent the OSI folk taking
over. So working was not a major design concern.

Website: http://hallambaker.com/