[rfc-i] A wild thought, RE: Valid email addresses [last call "On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload."]

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Wed Jan 11 23:59:52 PST 2012

>substantial, since people do move around.  In practice, I haven't noticed any
>comment about this over the years.

Funny you should mention that.  Just this week, the guy working on 2369bis
said he wasn't able to find the authors of 2369, because neither of the
addresses in the RFC work any more.  I happened to know one of them so I
told him where he was, but finding old authors can be a real problem.

Nonetheless, for reasons I mentioned before, I don't think it would be a good
idea for the IETF to provide a pobox-style mail forwarding service.  What might
be doable would be for the RFC Ed (or someone) to provide a way for authors
to tell them their new addresses, so they have a list that can be queried
manually.

R's,
John