[rfc-i] A wild thought, RE: Valid email addresses [last call "On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload."]

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Wed Jan 11 10:11:49 PST 2012

On Jan 11, 2012, at 9:34 AM, Ross Callon wrote:

> I am aware of a few cases where ADs, WG chairs, or active old IETF greybeards have been searching for authors. On the most part they are found relatively quickly, or are determined to have disappeared in a way that a permanent Email address would not have solved (whether to a boat in the Pacific, to a different industry, or to a different plane of existence).

Perhaps the RFC Editor could maintain a less-than-best-effort list of hopefully-current addresses for authors, indexed by RFC number, updated sometimes by a web form that people can fill out for themselves or others. This list could have a history component so that readers could see what previous addresses were.

--Paul Hoffman