[rfc-i] A wild thought, RE: Valid email addresses [last call "On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload."]

Ross Callon rcallon at juniper.net
Tue Jan 10 13:55:15 PST 2012

I have no idea how much work this would be (or whether it is financially feasible), but...

Some Universities give permanent email addresses to their alumni (like person at alum.university.edu), which just forwards to an address which can be updated by the person.

Would it be feasible to give a similar address to RFC authors (such as person at author.ietf.org)?

One reason that I have been reluctant to use my alumni address as my email address in an RFC is that this might invite spam -- the alumni address is forever, and I am concerned that over the years the amount of spam going to a particular address might grow well beyond the already insane amount that my current employer-based email address has accumulated. At a minimum this might therefore require both rather large email forwarding servers and also pretty good anti-spam filters on the servers.

Ross