[rfc-i] Valid email addresses [last call "On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload."]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:39:52 PST 2012

On 2012-01-11 09:14, Paul Hoffman wrote:
> On Jan 10, 2012, at 12:07 PM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>
>> Maybe this is a side issue, but I am aware of a quite recent case
>> where an author insisted on listing an obsolete email address in
>> an RFC, because it was his address at the former employer where
>> he did the work.
>>
>> We know that email addresses are not for ever, but should there be
>> a default policy requiring a valid address at the date of publication?
>

> Good point, and it is not just email. Should the policy be that the stated affiliation be valid at the time of publication, regardless of what the affiliation was during the document development?

IMHO yes, but opinions may vary.

As far as intellectual property is concerned, here is what I inserted
in RFC 2529, published with my IBM affiliation two years after I left
CERN. I did this explicitly to avoid any debate about who might
own my share of the putative IPR.

"Acknowledgements
...Brian Carpenter was at CERN when the work was started."

    Brian