[rfc-i] last call "On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload."

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Jan 10 11:39:59 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 09:49:13AM -0800, Dave CROCKER wrote:

> There should be some compelling functional benefit in the change,
> and I continue not to see what this one will have.

Chairs could stop arguing with people about who gets to be listed as
"author" on WG documents?  This seems like a benefit to me.

I understand why long lists of putative authors is a problem, but it's
a symptom of the disease, not the disease itself.  Trying to stop this
seems to me like an attempt to treat the symptom.  Probably with snake
oil.  The proposed innovation (possibly with the modification about
what gets listed suggested down-thread) at least makes the symptom
less severe while we think about whether the disease could be treated.

Best,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com