[rfc-i] last call "On Authors, Contributors, Editors, and overload."

Bob Hinden bob.hinden at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:09:41 PST 2012

Joel,

On Jan 10, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> I think that actually we should treat this as a real limitation, not just a process problem.  (If it were just a process problem, then fixing the process would indeed be correct.
> We concluded many years ago that having long author lists on the front page produced a serious problem in getting the necessary information onto the front page.
> Therefore, the length was to be limited, and the default limit was set to 5.

Thanks for bringing this back to the underlying problem.

I will observe that part of the cause of the problem that results in the limitation to 5 authors, is that we currently include the authors affiliation on the line after the authors name.  So in the worst case we need 10 lines for 5 authors.  If we were to drop the affiliation from the first page, this would allow for 10 authors.  The affiliations would continue to be listed in the author's address section.

Personally, I think it's better to drop the affiliations from the first page, than to limit the number of authors to five (when there really are more than 5 authors).  This could at a minimum be a solution to the cases where there are more than 5 legitimate authors, or even better remove the affiliation from all future RFCs.

Bob