[rfc-i] RFC format: any discussions at the Paris IETF?

John Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sun Feb 26 21:11:56 PST 2012

>I wasn't aware of any authoring technology in which What You See
>(while writing) will approximate What You Get (while reading) on a
>3.5" handset, a 7" tablet, a 10" tablet, an Amazon Kindle, a 11"
>MacBook Air, the 30" monitor often found on often office desktops, US
>letter-size paper, and European A4.  If there is such a technology,
>please do enlighten me.

Well, if you edit xml2rfc in an XML editor like xxe, then push it out
through the usual toolchains, you get pretty much the same appearance
on a wide variety of devices, suitably reflowed.

I run it through the new xml2rfc to get HTML that looks good in web
browsers, and then run the HTML through kindlegen to get a mobi that
looks surprisingly good on a Kindle.  I don't usually print them, but
I know people who use other XML tools to produce good quality page
image PDFs.

Someone else wrote:
> However, I consider XML a non-starter, since it's been around for quite a long
> while and there is still no "modern" editor.

Never looked inside a DOCX file, I gather.  Guess what the X stands for.

If you like point'n'click editors, xxe with the xml2rfc configuration
files from Google Code isn't bad.

R's,
John