[rfc-i] Image support in draft-iab-rfcformatreq-00

SM sm at resistor.net
Sat Dec 29 03:11:52 PST 2012

Hi Brian,
At 00:07 29-12-2012, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>Fixed pagination allows for reasonably pretty layout (e.g. avoiding
>widow and orphan text, and placing diagrams nicely). That is as important
>as ease of reference. These are features that the trend towards reflowable
>documents may obviate, but they are not archaic.

The features are relevant if the RFC is published on paper or a
page-oriented device which uses a paper-like format.  At a guess I'd
say that a significant number of people might view the fixed-font and
page-oriented approach as dated.  They are accustomed to variable
width fonts for the pretty layout with images as, well, images
instead of ASCII art.

Section 2.1.1 of the draft could be about clear written descriptions
versus clearer protocol flow or state diagrams.  Section 2.1.3 of the
draft is about ease of reference and clear printing versus a smoother
reading experience on a wider variety of devices.  It's difficult to
figure out what's the best alternative.

Regards,
-sm