[rfc-i] Image support in draft-iab-rfcformatreq-00

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 00:07:55 PST 2012

On 28/12/2012 18:36, SM wrote:
> I see people referring to page numbers in RFCs.  It could be for ease of
> reference.  I don't think that the pagination makes it easier to print
> except on US Letter.

As a matter of fact, the pagination rules were carefully chosen so
that printing works equally well on A4 and US Letter. When I print
drafts or RFCs, I usually do so in "booklet" format (A5) and that
works well too.

Fixed pagination allows for reasonably pretty layout (e.g. avoiding
widow and orphan text, and placing diagrams nicely). That is as important
as ease of reference. These are features that the trend towards reflowable
documents may obviate, but they are not archaic.

    Brian