[rfc-i] Image support in draft-iab-rfcformatreq-00

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Dec 28 12:45:24 PST 2012

Hi Nico,
At 10:52 28-12-2012, Nico Williams wrote:
>OTOH, it's very difficult to ensure future readability of any given
>format.  The .txt format, for example, doesn't display very well on
>many devices.  If the format can be adjusted (e.g., by reflowing
>text), is the requirement that RFCs must not change violated?  Should
>we list all the allowable reformatting operations that aren't
>considered changes to an RFC?

In my opinion the immutability property is about not altering the RFC
once it is published.  The guidelines for IETF errata (see
http://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/errata-processing.html ) enforces
that by restricting changes that can be made.  A text reflow does not
change the text unless your developer requirements says, for example,
"compliance with lines X to Y" of RFC Z.  If you need a document that
cannot be changed, including format, you could reference the canonical format.

Defining what constitutes a change to a RFC would be a
headache.  It's easier to say that the part delimited by those tags
requires 72 characters with a fixed-width font to be displayed
correctly.  The tool can easily reflow the other parts of the RFC
(re: your comment about .txt format not displaying well).  It's a bit
more complicated than that in practice as there can be a specific
formatting for a paragraph.

Regards,
-sm