[rfc-i] Image support in draft-iab-rfcformatreq-00

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Fri Dec 28 10:52:30 PST 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 12:36 PM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
> Section 3.1 mentions that "RFCs must not change, regardless of format, once
> published".  That's editorial policy instead of a format requirement.

That could be seen as a formatting requirement: the formatted RFC must
continue to be readable in the far future.  We have decades-old RFCs
and we can still read them.

OTOH, it's very difficult to ensure future readability of any given
format.  The .txt format, for example, doesn't display very well on
many devices.  If the format can be adjusted (e.g., by reflowing
text), is the requirement that RFCs must not change violated?  Should
we list all the allowable reformatting operations that aren't
considered changes to an RFC?

Nico