[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

Martin Rex mrex at sap.com
Fri Dec 21 10:14:00 PST 2012

Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM, Martin Rex <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
> >
> > Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> > >
> > > Why does normative text need to be displayable on every machine?
> >
> > Why NOT?
> >

> The example was a router. I have never once read an RFC on the display of a
> router.
>
> Are you suggesting I should be able to read RFCs on my Nike Powerband ?

Many routers do neither have a display. nor large amounts of unused
storage where to store RFCs.

My HomeNAS (a WD Worldbook, 380Mhz ARM, 256 MB RAM) has plenty of mass
storage and SSH access (but no display), and I have edited source code
on that machine and read RFCs through SSH in an xterm.

-Martin