[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 06:43:10 PST 2012

On 21/12/2012 10:03, Martin Rex wrote:

>> In British English we write "naive" and "Noel", but if I had chosen to use
>> my private address for RFCs published while I lived near Zürich, I would have
>> needed to include the street name "Im Broëlberg" (which Germans may find hard
>> to stomach, but it is the correct spelling of a street in Kilchberg, Zürich).
>> It matters, because "Broelberg" could be misunderstood as an Anglicisation
>> of "Brölberg", which is not the same thing.
>

> That sounds really weird to me.  maps.google.com and www.openstreetmap.org
> know Broelberg and Brölberg.

They need to match those too, of course, because both those spelling
mistakes are common (even in the Zürich area), and many people mispronounce
it as a result. I remember being congratulated by an official at the
Gemeindehaus for spelling it correctly. It is correctly spelled at
http://broelberg-park.ch/ (although the URL is not internationalised).
However, most Google results for it are spelled incorrectly. That is
kind of my point - up to now, the Internet has done a lousy job on
this question, and the ASCIIness of the IETF is partly to blame.

> The variant you list with the accent on top of the letter e looks really
> weird (and somewhat implausible).  Switzerland isn't Germany, but anyhow.

No, and Züritüütsch is not Hochdeutsch. I think that's the point.
If we want internationalised specifications, we must be able to represent
pretty much any glyph *when it is useful to do so*.

On the router interface? Why not, if trying to configure a router named
ImBroëlberg1?

    Brian