[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

SM sm at resistor.net
Fri Dec 21 02:21:07 PST 2012

Hi Martin,
At 23:23 20-12-2012, Martin J. Dürst" wrote:
>What Julian wrote applies to the second half of
>the sentence. There is an even worse problem
>with the first part, in particular the word
>"garbage". Telling people one replies to that
>their name contains garbage isn't exactly
>polite. Implying that most of the languages of
>the world (including English if typeset
>properly) contain garbage also isn't exactly a good idea.

It is difficult to get a sense of what people are
actually trying to convey through written
words.  The "To:" header in this message has a
character which cannot be expressed in 7-bit
US-ASCII.  My guess is that it can be traced back
to Europe.  From the email address I'll guess
that the recipient is from Japan.  I cannot guess
the age of the recipient or his cultural
background.  I can make an assumption about
gender but that doesn't mean that it is a safe
guess.  Now, let's assume that I do not agree
with something a person said.  I could express
that in a diplomatic way, assuming I have the
skills to do so.  I could express it in a way
which might not come out as exactly
polite.  Effective expression also depends upon
what the sender knows about the recipient and
what the sender would like to to achieve.

Regards,
-sm