[rfc-i] Character sets, was Comments on draft-iab-rfcformat

"Martin J. Dürst" duerst at it.aoyama.ac.jp
Thu Dec 20 23:23:32 PST 2012

On 2012/12/20 21:34, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 2012-12-20 12:49, Martin Rex wrote:
>> "Martin J. Dürst" wrote:

>>> IETF mailing lists are perfectly able to handle to handle UTF-8 (or many
>>> other non-ASCII encodings). The non-ASCII examples that Philipp was
>>> sending out yesterday arrived here in good shape.
>>
>> Such garbage comes up as sequences of question marks on my MUA.
>
> Martin, this is not helpful. Apparently you think that it's ok to
> restrict what we all can do based on a set of very outdated software on
> your machine. If you don't believe in running software that actually
> implements the specs we work on, why do you even participate in IETF work?

What Julian wrote applies to the second half of the sentence. There is
an even worse problem with the first part, in particular the word
"garbage". Telling people one replies to that their name contains
garbage isn't exactly polite. Implying that most of the languages of the
world (including English if typeset properly) contain garbage also isn't
exactly a good idea.

I hope that we (including those who's name means "king") can be more
respectful of each other this list.

Many thanks in advance,    Martin.