[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 11:33:15 PST 2012

On 20/12/2012 17:18, Ted Hardie wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Martin Rex <mrex at sap.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't call them anything.  They're non-ascii, and can not be
>> typed on my keyboard, any completely irrelevant to the languages
>> that I understand.
>>

> The idea that we don't use the trema in English to indicate diaeresis is
> just naïve.  It's used in names, to indicate that two adjacent vowels do
> not form a dipthong, and to return to voice what would otherwise be a
> silent e.

In British English we write "naive" and "Noel", but if I had chosen to use
my private address for RFCs published while I lived near Zürich, I would have
needed to include the street name "Im Broëlberg" (which Germans may find hard
to stomach, but it is the correct spelling of a street in Kilchberg, Zürich).
It matters, because "Broelberg" could be misunderstood as an Anglicisation
of "Brölberg", which is not the same thing.

A rule that we can use Unicode characters for such reasons seems necessary.

    Brian