[rfc-i] Comments on draft-iab-rfcformatreq

Ted Hardie ted.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 09:18:52 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM, Martin Rex <mrex at sap.com> wrote:

> I don't call them anything.  They're non-ascii, and can not be
> typed on my keyboard, any completely irrelevant to the languages
> that I understand.

The idea that we don't use the trema in English to indicate diaeresis is
just naïve.  It's used in names, to indicate that two adjacent vowels do
not form a dipthong, and to return to voice what would otherwise be a
silent e.

Please stop using your desire to circumscribe your own experience as a
touchstone for the needs of the IETF and other users of the RFC series.

thanks,

Ted Hardie